Tuesday, October 9, 2018 | 12:45 PM - 2:00 PM
Open to Conference Attendees Only
Taking on the Silver Tsunami: Two Approaches – Longevity Performance & Adaptive Reuse
Founder & President, Landmark Hospitals
Principal of Design, L2 Studios, Inc.
Sr. Designer/Planner, Devenney Group Architects
Vice President & Healthcare Principal, HuntonBrady Architects
Project Architect, Devenney Group Ltd. Architects
We are rapidly approaching a “silver” tsunami in the US and worldwide. With the rapidly aging population, costs for senior housing and medical delivery are outpacing funds available. This super session explores two approaches to combat this dilemma: The Longevity Performance Center offers aging robust and healthy as a new paradigm with biologic remodeling with clinical feedback to enhance lean muscle mass, genetic plasticity, biologic plasticity and neural plasticity in aging adults. BridgeWater Assisted Living – Deer Valley offers a contrasting approach with a case study in “flipping” a dilapidated hotel into an assisted living facility to achieve affordable care. Both sessions consider consumerism in healthcare to meet the rising challenges that consumers, healthcare systems and design professionals will soon face.
1. Learn what the silver tsunami is and how it will override the current healthcare delivery system without intervention.
2. Clinical understanding of how longevity and performance are interrelated and the technology to alter an individual’s quality of life for healthy aging
3. Understand essential design decisions that are unique to the aging population in a wellness focused facility.
4. Learn how consumerism in healthcare translates to an experiential approach vs. a programmatic approach.
5. Understand the challenges with adaptive reuse in working within the confines of an existing structure and converting an R-4 to an I-1 occupancy.
6. Learn how to translate different aspects of design into senior friendly environments that provide affordable care for seniors and veterans.