Monday, October 8, 2018 | 1:45 PM - 2:45 PM
Open to Conference Attendees Only
The New Benchmark for Children's Outpatient Centers
Senior Project Manager, McCarthy
V.P., Erlanger Medical Center
Project Architect, HKS
CEO, Children''s Hospital
The 100,000 sq. ft. Children's Outpatient Center in Chattanooga TN. may not be the biggest or most expensive, but it combines best practices and innovative approaches to create a new benchmark that may provide a different approach for others to consider. Some of the unique elements include:
- A competitive selection process for the design construction team that involved the entire City
- An innovative and unique exterior that clearly reflects the region
- A project that inspired the community to provide 2/3 of the project cost through philanthropy
- A healing environment that embraced the unique elements of the community to include: a 1891 Steam
Engine, a City Fire Truck, an 1940 Tow Truck with a personality and a "Secret Garden", all donated by the
- A unique mock up that had three lives
- A model for efficiency - no private offices - on stage / off stage - ultimate flexibility
- A project that has inspired over a billion dollars in future investment in the City
1. Inspire future projects to do something different that will enhance the ultimate outcome and success of the project.
2. Appreciate the value of engaging an entire city in the selection of the team, the planning, design, funding and construction.
3. Transform the patient / visitor experience into a series of unexpected and enjoyable opportunities.
4. Recognize the importance of creating an inspiring and efficient space.